Sunday, February 14, 2010

Kitchen renovation: how to renew wall edging strips

It was love at first sight between me and our new apartment. But I had to admit I wavered a at the sight of the ugly rustic kitchen.



This is the condition of the hob when we first moved in two months ago.

My first challenge was to clean the mildew off the wooden wall edging. 

First, I used Mr. Muscle Mold & Mildew Killer to clean this part, to no avail. The mildew has penetrated down into the wood. Changing the whole wall edging strip would cost too much, not to mention we're just renting this place.


My only option then is to cover the stains. PVC adhesive foils would do the trick.


Wood grain pattern or plain colors, the varieties of design are endless. You can buy it at Selfix or other DIY stores for $22.

Here's what I did:
1. Clean the surface of the wall edging strip.
2. Measure its width and length. Add one cm from the length and one cm from the width to the self adhesive foil to ensure a nice fit.
3. Apply the foil to the strip. Use cutter to remove any excess foil.





It's that easy. Here is a close up look on my new wall edging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment